Keeping adults safe

"I’d like to know how I can stay safe."

Abuse and neglect

Everyone has the right to feel safe and live their life free from abuse or neglect.

Please contact us if you are, or someone you know is:

  • experiencing abuse or neglect
  • at risk of being abused or neglected

or if you have witnessed an incident related to abuse or neglect that has concerned you.

Types of abuse

Abuse can take different forms, these include:

  • physical abuse
  • domestic abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • psychological or emotional abuse
  • financial or material abuse
  • discriminatory abuse
  • organisational abuse
  • neglect or acts of omission
  • self-neglect
  • modern slavery.

You can find out more about each type of abuse on the East Riding Safeguarding Board website.

Signs of abuse

There are many signs of abuse. These include when someone:

  • shows changes in behaviour without reason
  • has an injury that is difficult to explain
  • seems frightened around certain people
  • appears unusually sad or withdrawn
  • does not have access to their own finances.

Who to contact

If you would like to report a safeguarding concern, please contact us as follows:

Report a concern online

During normal working hours (Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5pm):

Call the adult safeguarding team on 01482 396940

If you need to talk to someone urgently outside of normal working hours, you can:

Call the emergency duty team on 01377 241273

Please note: the information you provide to us will remain confidential. It will only be shared with the parties investigating the report. You have the right to remain anonymous.

Is someone in immediate danger?

If you feel that the situation needs to be treated as an emergency to prevent them being harmed, please:

Call the police on 999

If the person is not in immediate danger but you still wish to report it to the police:

Call the police non-emergency number on 101

What we’ll do

There’s a process that we’ll follow when we are contacted about a safeguarding issue:

  • Make sure the person is safe


    As soon as we receive a concern about a safeguarding issue, we’ll take steps to make sure the person you have told us about is safe, plus anyone else who may be affected. For example, if the person lives in a care home, we’d check the other residents are safe too.

  • Safeguarding enquiry


    We’ll also talk to the person experiencing, or at risk of, abuse and neglect and/or their representatives to decide:

    • if any further action is required
    • who should take this action.

    The action may include conversations and referrals to other agencies, such as:

    • local health professionals
    • Humberside Police
    • Care Quality Commission (CQC).

    You can find out more about the Care Quality Commission on their website.