Care and support

"I want to find out how to get the help and support I need."

Accessing care and support

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay as independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

If you are finding it difficult to remain independent on your own, we can help you access adult care and support services.

Who this applies to

We can offer support to you if you:

  • are aged 18 or over
  • live in the East Riding

and have care and support needs because you:

  • are older or frail
  • have a physical and/or learning disability
  • have mental health issues
  • have problems with drugs and/or alcohol.

None of these?

Check out these other sections that may be relevant to you:

Moving to adult social care - for people aged 16 to 18 who currently receive children's services

Adult carers - for people aged 18 or over who care for someone

Young carers - for people aged 17 or under and care for a family member

What support is available

There are a range of care and support services available to you, both in your local community and provided by, or on behalf of, the council.

Our aim is to support you to choose the services that best suit your needs.

  • Step 1 - Your needs


    To make sure we understand what your needs are, we’ll complete a needs assessment. You'll be asked about:

    • the things you can do now
    • what you need help to do
    • anything that you would like to be able to do in the future.

    This will help us to work out:

    • what support you need
    • whether you can access this support in your local community (often these are free services)
    • if you need to access any services run by us
    • the cost of the support you require.
  • Step 2 - Paying for your care


    The cost of your care and support package will depend on which services you are accessing. Some of our services are free, others are chargeable.

    Most people must pay something towards care services they receive from us. If you would like to know if we can help with the cost of your care and support, we’ll complete a financial assessment.

    This will look at things like:

    If we can help to pay for some, or all, of your care and support, you’ll receive a personal budget from us.

    If you are unable to receive help from us, we’ll be able to advise on free services available in the community that may be available to you, and how you can self fund your care.

    If you are planning to move into a care home, you may be able to take out a loan with us to help pay for your care. This could also cover any ‘top up’ payments, which are required if you choose care accommodation that is more expensive than your personal budget allows. Family members are also able to make 'top up' payments on your behalf.

  • Step 3 - Planning your care


    Once we know what your needs are, and how you will pay for your care. We’ll help you put together a care and support plan.

    This could include things to help you:

    • live well, such as adaptive equipment to make daily tasks easier or help to get out and about in the community
    • stay safe around your home, such as personal safety alarms or a stair lift
    • with your personal care, like someone to help get washed and dressed
    • move home, if you are finding it difficult to live in your own home and would like to move somewhere more suitable to your care needs
    • community services, that could benefit you are often free to access.

    Read more about staying independent in your own home.

Contact adult social care

If you are not sure what support you need, or haven’t been able to find the right help, then we’d be happy to help.

  • What we will need to know


    When we speak to you, we will ask questions about the person who needs support - whether it’s you or someone else.

    We’ll ask the following details for the person needing support:

    • name
    • date of birth
    • address
    • doctor’s contact details
    • next of kin contact details
    • accessibility needs, if they have any.

    We may also ask:

    • what has changed
    • what a typical day looks like
    • who is around to help, such as friends, family members and neighbours
    • what you are hoping to get from us.
  • Contact us


    You can contact us about yourself or someone can contact us on your behalf (if you have given your consent for them to do so), such as friends, family member or health professional.

    Please get in touch by either of the following methods and leave your details:

  • What happens next


    We'll get back to you to discuss what kind of help you may need and give you some advice over the phone. We may also make a referral for a needs assessment.

Emergency contact

If you need to talk to someone urgently out of normal office hours, you can contact our emergency duty team.

They are available:

  • Monday to Thursday: 5pm to 7.30am the following morning
  • 4.30pm on Friday to 7.30am Monday, with 24 hour cover at weekends and throughout Bank Holidays.

Please note: the emergency team will respond to all calls as soon as possible. There may be times when the team may be dealing with several matters or completing an urgent assessment. You will be advised by the telephone staff if this is the case and your call will be returned as soon as possible.