Moving to adult social care

"I'll soon be an adult. I'd like to know how I can still get the care I need."

Adult supported assessment

Are you a teenager moving to adult care?

Take a look at our top tips for staying independent, safe, happy and healthy in your own home.

Show me how I can be an independent adult

To help you with your move from children’s social care to adult social care, we first need to carry out an adult supported assessment.

  • Request an assessment


    To request an adult support assessment, ask your support worker to make a referral.

    Alternatively, please get in touch by either of the following methods and leave your details:

    Please note: referrals tend to take place around 17 years old, however we can accept them from 16 years old.

  • Your appointment


    We’ll contact you by telephone (unless you have given another preferred method) to arrange your appointment at a time when it is best for you.

  • Before your assessment


    To prepare for your assessment, it is worth having a think about the following questions:

    • How do you feel about the support you currently receive? Does it work for you?
    • How would you like to contribute to society in the future, such as take part in community activities or study for a career?
    • What type of social activities would like to be involved in, such as joining local groups, undertaking your hobbies or meeting new friends?
    • How do you feel about your general wellbeing - could it be improved?
    • What help do you need on a day-to-day basis?
    • What do you need help with to become more independent?
  • During the assessment


    On the day of your assessment, a support worker from our adult social care team will visit you, your family and/or your carers at a venue that is best for you. This is normally at your home.

    If there is anyone else you or your parents feel should be there, such as professionals you are involved with, you are welcome to invite them.

    Your assessment will consider:

    • your current needs
    • what your needs are likely to be when you turn 18
    • what is important to you
    • what you want to achieve in life
    • the types of adult care and support may be of benefit to you. This can include:
      • care and support for independent living
      • direct payment support
      • short breaks
      • training
      • employment
    • any other informal support that is available and may help you achieve your goals.

    Make sure you give as much detail as possible as this will help make sure you get the support you need.

    Assessments can sometimes take around 2 hours to complete. If you feel this is too long, speak to the support worker visiting you and they will arrange to complete your assessment in a number of shorter sessions.

  • After your assessment


    We will use your assessment to determine if you need to access any adult social care services to make a successful transition to adulthood.

    We will contact you to give you an idea of the sort of support that you can expect. This could be:

    • help to create a care and support plan that explains how we will help you, and any services you will be using to meet your eligible needs
    • guidance on where to get the help you need, if you do not qualify for support from us. This could include recommendation of local community services and support organisations.

Paying for care

There are charges for some of the services we provide, however no one has to pay more than they can afford. Learn about our service costs.

If your adult supported assessment confirms you have ‘eligible needs’ to use our services, you will be referred to our paying for care team. They will carry out a full financial assessment to review your finances and advise you what you will need to contribute towards your care and support.

The team can also give guidance on how to manage your finances, including:

Mental Capacity Act

If we feel you need help to make decisions about your care and support needs, we’ll arrange a mental capacity assessment.