Care and support

"I want to find out how to get the help and support I need."

Service costs

Do you want to continue to live at home?

We know it’s important to keep your independence and stay living in your own home for as long as possible.

We’ve put together some great advice, along with details of many services and support groups that can help you with this.

We charge for the majority of care and support we provide, but some services are available for free.

If you qualify for care and support, and you have one or more chargeable services as part of your care and support plan, you should expect to pay towards the cost of your care unless your assets, savings and income are very low. To find out what you must pay, you will need a financial assessment.

Please note: you do not need to have a financial assessment to receive care services from us, however, you would be expected to pay the full amount for your care. This is known as self-funding.

Free care and support services

There is no cost for:

  • minor aids and adaptations costing no more than £1,000. This could be providing a daily living aid, such as a bathroom grab rail or commode, or making an adaptation to your home to assist you to live in your own home independently
  • intermediate care services if you leave hospital and need short-term care so you can get back on your feet
  • reablement services
  • care or support if you have Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease
  • any service, or part of service, that the NHS has a duty to provide. This includes health funded care (continuing healthcare) and the NHS contribution to registered nursing care (nursing care within a nursing home)
  • services that as a local authority, we have a legal duty to provide, such as a needs assessment, care and support plan or financial assessment.

Chargeable care and support services

The services you must contribute to, or pay in full, are: