Moving to adult social care

"I'll soon be an adult. I'd like to know how I can still get the care I need."

Getting ready for adulthood

Are you a teenager moving to adult care?

Take a look at our top tips for staying independent, safe, happy and healthy in your own home.

Show me how I can be an independent adult

If you are aged 17 or under and currently receive services from us, these are provided by our children’s social care teams.

From age 18 onwards, any services you qualify for, will be provided by our adult social care team.

Who this applies to

This will apply to you if you are aged 17 or under and:

  • are currently receiving support through children’s services relating to your disability
  • may have eligible needs for adult care and support services when you turn 18.

What support is available

Here is how we can help you prepare for this change, often referred to as your ‘transition’ to adult care services.

  • Step 1 - Your needs


    Somewhere between the ages of 16 and 18, we’ll offer you an adult supported assessment, sometimes referred to as a needs assessment. You’ll be asked about:

    • the things you can do now
    • what you need help to do
    • anything that you would like to be able to do in the future.

    This will help us to work out:

    • what support you’ll need once you are an adult
    • whether you can access this support in your local community (often these are free services)
    • if you need to access any services run by us
    • the cost of the support you require.
  • Step 2 - Paying for your care


    Most people must pay something towards care services they receive from us. If you would like to know if we can help with the cost of our services we’ll complete a financial assessment. This will look at things like:

    • benefits you are receiving
    • your savings and income.

    If we can help to pay for some, or all, of your care and support. You’ll receive a personal budget from us that you can use to pay for your care.

    If you are unable to receive help from us, we’ll be able to advise on free services available in the community that may be available to you, and how you can self fund your care.

    If you are planning to move into a care home, you may be able to take out a loan with us to help pay for your care. This could also cover any ‘top up’ payments, required if you have chosen care accommodation that is more expensive than your personal budget allows - alternatively this could be paid for by a family member.

  • Step 3- Planning your care


    Once we know what your needs are, and how you will pay for your care. We’ll help you put together a care and support plan.

    This could include things to help you:

    • live well, such as adaptive equipment to make daily tasks easier or help to get out and about in the community
    • stay safe around your home, such as personal safety alarms or a stair lift
    • with your personal care, like someone to help get washed and dressed
    • move home, if you are finding it difficult to live in your own home and would like to move somewhere more suitable to your care needs
    • community services, that could benefit you are often free to access.

    Read more about staying independent in your own home.

Someone to speak up for you

If you do not feel able to speak for yourself, or find it hard to understand things, don’t worry. You can ask someone, like a family member or friend to help you. If you don’t have someone who can help, we can arrange for an independent advocate to support you.