Financial assessment

"I'd like to know how you work out what I need to pay towards my care."

Living in a care home assessment

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay as independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

You’ll have a living in residential care assessment if you live in a:

  • residential care home
  • nursing care home
  • residential college (as a placement).

What you need to tell us

As part of your assessment we’ll need to know about your:

  • income - the money you have coming in
  • savings or capital - all your bank accounts, plus any savings, bonds and investments
  • housing costs - you share of expenses relating to council tax, rent, mortgage and service charges
  • disability expenses - any costs linked to your condition, impairment or disability
  • property - any buildings or land that you own.

We will also consider your personal expenses allowance.

Find out what you can use as evidence for the information you need to supply.

Personal expenses allowance

As a person who lives in a care home will have all their day to day expenses covered within their residential or nursing home fee, the minimum income guarantee used in the financial assessment calculations for someone living at home does not apply. Instead, the government has set a personal expenses allowance of £24.90 per week.

This will mean you always have at least £24.90 per week of income after paying for or contributing to the cost of your care home.

Non-property owner

If you do not own a property and:

  • your savings are less than £14,250, your savings will not be taken into account in the financial assessment and will not affect the amount you will be asked to contribute. Your contribution will be the majority of your income minus the personal expenses allowance.
  • you have between £14,250 and £23,250 in savings, you must contribute £1 per week for every £250 you have above £14,250 in addition to the contribution you make from your income.
  • you have more than £23,250 in savings, you are responsible for meeting the full cost of your care.

Property owner

Your property is not taken into account for the first 12 weeks that you are in a care home. This is called the '12 week disregard'.

After this period, if you own or jointly-own a property, the value of this property is usually taken into account. However, the value of your property will not be taken into account if:

  • your stay in the care home is temporary

or someone who falls into one of the following categories still lives in your property:

  • your spouse, civil partner or partner (who you have lived with as though you are married)
  • a relative, such as a son, daughter, niece or nephew, who is 60 or over
  • a relative who is under 16, and who you legally support
  • a relative who is disabled.

Please note: if you are assessed as having to pay the full cost of your residential care but cannot afford the full weekly charge because most of your capital is tied up in your home, you may be able to enter a deferred payment agreement.

After your assessment

We will write to you shortly after your assessment to let you know how much you are required to pay weekly towards your care. You will also be given details of how to pay (if relevant).

Check the details

It is important that you check the details of your assessment letter. If anything is missing or incorrect, it may make a difference to the amount you must pay towards your care. Any difference will be backdated to the start of your care and you may need to repay us. Find out how to tell us about missing or incorrect information.