Care and support

"I want to find out how to get the help and support I need."

Needs assessment

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay as independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

If you're finding it difficult to remain independent and cope day to day, we can help you access adult social care services.

After you've contacted us to see how we can help, we’ll complete a needs assessment to find out if you qualify to receive any services from us.

Who can have an assessment

To be assessed you must:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • live in the East Riding

and have care and support needs because you:

  • are older and/or frail
  • have a physical and/or learning disability
  • have mental health issues
  • have problems with drugs and/or alcohol.

None of these apply to you?

Check out these other pages that may be relevant to you:

Arranging a needs assessment

  • Request an assessment


    To request an assessment, please get in touch by either of the following methods and leave your contact details:

    Please note: assessments are usually carried out within 28 days of your request

  • Get ready for your assessment

    Think about the questions you’ll be asked

    Before you have your assessment, think about the following questions:

    • What day to day tasks can you do on your own with little or no help?
    • Are you able to get out and about in the community?
    • Who already helps you, or could help you, such as friends and family?
    • Can you keep yourself safe?
    Talk to family or friends

    Ask family and friends for their help. They may think of everyday things you can’t do that you have just got used to not doing.

    Bringing someone with you

    If you find it hard to understand things or get your meaning across, don’t worry. You can ask a family member or friend to attend your needs assessment with you. They can also take notes for you.

    If you don’t know someone who can help, you can ask us to arrange for an independent advocate to support you during your assessment. An independent advocate is a trained professional who can help get your opinions heard. Learn more about advocates.

  • The assessment - what you'll talk about


    A support worker from our adult social care team will carry out your needs assessment. Their aim is to help you make a plan to live well. Everybody’s needs are different so they’ll ask questions to find out what’s important to you. They’ll ask about:

    • what is going on in your life
    • your family and friends and how often you get to see people
    • anyone you look after.
    Things you can do on your own

    They’ll also want to know if you can do things such as:

    • prepare and eat food and drinks without help
    • keep yourself and your clothes clean
    • use the toilet on your own (or manage your toilet needs)
    • dress yourself properly
    • move around safely
    • keep your home clean and safe
    • take part in activities like volunteering or learning
    • use local services, such as the buses and shops
    • carry out any caring responsibilities you might have.

    Give as much detail as you can about all the everyday tasks you struggle with, even the little ones like turning taps on and off. Leaving out things may reduce the care we recommend for you.

    You will be encouraged to explain what you think you need and what you want to be able to do in the future.

    Your wellbeing

    Your support worker will also discuss how your care needs affect your wellbeing, and whether the services available can give you the help you want. Your wellbeing includes:

    • relationships with family and friends
    • physical and mental health
    • keeping safe
    • having enough money
    • a good place to live
    • being able to control your daily life.
    Things that could help

    If the assessment shows that you qualify to receive help from us, our support worker will talk through the type of services and help you could access to help you live well. This may include:

    • adaptations to your home, such as putting up grab rails in your bathroom
    • daily living aids, such as a walking frame.

    This information will be recorded in your care and support plan.

  • After the assessment


    We will write to you shortly after your assessment to let you know what decision we have made and the reasons why.

    If you qualify to receive care and support

    We will work with you to create a care and support plan. A family member or advocate can support you if you wish.

    If you do not qualify to receive care and support

    You will be given written information and advice on how to access support locally and how to prevent or reduce your care needs.

    These services could help you with:

    • housing
    • benefits
    • clubs
    • voluntary groups.

    We may also be able to put you in touch with other organisations who can support your wellbeing and help you remain independent for longer.

If you don't want an assessment

You don’t have to be assessed if you are intending to fund your own care long term, including any services you receive from us.


If you disagree with the outcome of your assessment, you can ask us to look at it again.

If you are not happy after that, you have a right to complain. You can find out more about our formal complaints procedure on the East Riding of Yorkshire Council website.

Advice about needs assessments

If you need some advice about needs assessments, you can get in touch with any of the following:

Community Wellbeing Team

If you want to talk to someone about needs assessments, one of our community wellbeing team members can help.

Get in touch by either of the following methods and leave your details:

Age UK

Age UK are a national charity available to support older people. You can find out more about needs assessments on the Age UK website. You can also call their free helpline if you want to talk to someone about needs assessments.

Family Rights Group

The Family Rights Group is a charity that works with parents in England and Wales whose children are in need, at risk or are in the care system. They also work with members of the family who are raising children unable to remain at home. Find out more about them on the Family Rights Group website.

Our duty to you

The assessment is carried out in line with the Care Act 2014 about care and support. You can view an easy read guide about the Care Act 2014 on the GOV.UK website.

Mental capacity act 2005

If we feel you need help to make decisions about your care and support needs, we’ll arrange a mental capacity assessment. If your assessment shows you have no one to support you, we’ll arrange for an independent mental capacity advocate (IMCA) to attend any assessments or meetings you have with us. You can view an easy read guide on the Mental Capacity Act on the Local Government Association website.

COVID-19 information

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will carry out assessments using an online chat facility, such as Microsoft Teams.

If we need to visit your home: we will carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment and anyone visiting you will take a lateral flow test before they arrive. Learn more about the test we take on our COVID-19 website.

At your home: they will observe social distancing rules and wear appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment), including a face covering.