staying independent

Getting out and about

"I’d like some help to plan my journey."

Public facilities

Here's some handy information about toilet facilities, Changing Places and breastfeeding friendly facilities to help you plan your day out.

Public toilets

Council-run toilets

Within East Riding of Yorkshire the council manages 34 public toilets. Many of these facilities include a:

  • baby changing facility
  • separate accessible toilet that you can access with a RADAR key.

Find a local toilet on the East Riding of Yorkshire Council website

Public toilets across the UK

Other toilets available for public use in the East Riding can be found on the Great British Toilet Map website.

This website shows toilet facilities in places such as:

  • bus and train stations
  • fuel stations
  • shopping centres
  • shops and cafes
  • libraries
  • leisure centres.

The website aims to only map toilets that members of the public can use without needing to be a customer.

RADAR keys

Throughout the East Riding, and the UK, many public accessible toilets (also referred to as disabled toilets) are fitted with a RADAR lock. To access these toilets you need a special key. This is either silver (older style) or has a blue heart fob (newer style).

RADAR locks and keys are part of the National Key Scheme (NKS) designed to:

  • offer disabled people independent access to locked public toilets around the country (previously some establishments locked accessible toilets and you had to request the key)
  • keep accessible toilets clean, free from vandalism or misuse, and readily available to those who really need them.

You can find out more about the RADAR scheme on the Disability Rights UK website.

Where to get a RADAR key

You can apply for a RADAR key at any East Riding of Yorkshire Council customer service centre. There’s a £3.50 administration fee and you’ll need to provide proof that you are disabled.

Find a customer service centre on the East Riding of Yorkshire Council website

What you must show us

To prove you qualify for a RADAR key, you can show us a:

  • blue badge
  • sight impairment card issued by the sensory impairment team
  • doctor’s note
  • letter that shows you receive the higher rate of disability living allowance (DLA) or the mobility component of PIP.

If you are a parent or carer of someone aged 19 or under, and you are registered for LOOK AHEAD, you can use your Shop and Save card as proof. Find out more about LOOK AHEAD on the SEND East Riding local offer website.

Buying a RADAR key online

You can buy a RADAR key online, however many websites selling them state that their keys are genuine when this is not correct, only a geniune key can be guaranteed to work in every RADAR lock - and others could damage the lock.

If you’d prefer to purchase a key online, we recommend that you buy a RADAR key from the Disability Rights UK website.

Where to find a RADAR toilet

As well as RADAR key toilets being available in over 400 local authority areas in the UK, you can also find them at:

  • shopping centres and department stores
  • pubs and cafes
  • country parks
  • train and bus stations
  • airports
  • motorways service areas
  • sports venues.

You can find accessible toilets that use RADAR keys on the Great British Toilet Map website. Just use the search facility to filter by ‘RADAR key’.

Travelling abroad

A RADAR key will not work outside of the UK. Parts of Europe run a similar scheme called Eurokey.

You can find out more about Eurokey on the CBF Darmstadt website. You may find it useful to use Google Translate as this website is in German.

Changing Places Toilets

Changing Places Toilets are fully accessible toilets that have been designed for people who are not able to use the toilet independently. This includes people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, or with physical difficulties, such as spinal injuries, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis.

With plenty of extra space, a Changing Places Toilet allows for:

  • mobility aids to be taken right up to the toilet
  • a carer to go into the facility to assist.

Extra equipment is also available including:

  • an adult-sized changing bench
  • a wide tear-off paper roll close to changing bench
  • a hoist
  • a curtain or screen
  • grab rails placed wherever support is required
  • a large waste paper bin for disposing of things like pads or stoma bags
  • an emergency alarm to summon help.

Where to find a Changing Places Toilet

Changing Places Toilets are available in a range of locations across the East Riding including:

  • leisure centres
  • day opportunities centres
  • children’s centres
  • shopping centres
  • hospitals.

You can find a local Changing Places Toilet on the Changing Places website.

Breastfeeding friendly venues

If you are breastfeeding your child, you are welcome to do this anywhere on site at any:

If you’d prefer a discrete space, please ask a member of staff who will arrange this.

Please note: this is not an exhaustive list, and facilities may be available at other council venues.

Safe places scheme

If you get confused, frightened or you need help while you are out and about, some areas of the UK have places where you can go to ask for help. These are known as ‘safe places’. You can identify them by the yellow and orange sticker displayed in their window.

Please note: a ‘safe places’ scheme is currently not in operation in the East Riding of Yorkshire area.

More information about safe places

You can find out more about safe places on the following websites: