Financial assessment

"I'd like to know how you work out what I need to pay towards my care."

Respite stay in a care home financial assessment

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

As part of the assessment process for arranging care and support, if you are staying in a care home for respite or a short break, we’ll need to assess your financial situation. This is so we can work out if you qualify to pay our flat rate charge for respite stays.

Respite stays

A respite stay, or short break is a planned stay in a residential care home. It is usually for a period of 1 to 2 weeks, but can be up to 8 weeks.

There are many reasons why you may need to stay in a care home for a short period, such as:

  • your carer is temporarily unable to look after you as they are on holiday or out of town
  • your carer may need extra support - perhaps after feeling unwell
  • you need help to recover from an illness or operation - perhaps you are in hospital and ready to leave but not ready to live on your own
  • you’re considering moving into a care home permanently, and would like a trial visit
  • you're feeling lonely and may benefit from spending some time with other people.

Flat rate charge

Our flat rate charge will be offered to you if you have savings and investments are £23,249 or less. The actual amount you'll pay will be based on the number of nights you stay in the care home.

To give you an idea of your contribution, a 7-night stay if you are:

  • aged between 18 and 24 years is £78.40
  • aged between 25 and state pension age is £96.40
  • of state pension age or older is £172.80.

Personal Expense Allowance

As a person who lives in a care home has all their day-to-day expenses covered within their residential or nursing home fee, the minimum income guarantee used in the financial assessment calculations for someone living at home does not apply. Instead, the government has set a personal expenses allowance of £24.90 change to £28.25 per week.

This will mean you always have at least £24.90 change to £28.25per week of income after paying for or contributing to the cost of your care home.

Have £23,250 or more?

If your savings and investments are £23,250 or more, you'll be a self-funder and will be charged for the full cost of your care. This will depend on the residential care home you stay at and for how long.

Step 1: Your assessment - what we need to know

The support worker carrying out your needs assessment will look at your finances during the same appointment if a respite stay identified as a way to meet your care needs.

They'll just need some information about you and your finances. They'll also need to know about anyone who is involved in your financial decisions.

You can find out more about the information we require below.

Personal details

As well as your contact information, we need the details of anyone who is involved in your financial decisions, such as:

  • your power of attorney
  • deputy or financial representative.

You must also provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • power of attorney documentation
  • appointee forms
  • court of protection order.

Savings and investments

We need to know about any savings and capital you have. This means:

  • cash
  • money in a bank or building society
  • bonds or shares.

You must provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • bank account statements
  • savings account statements
  • bond certificates
  • life assurance bond certificates that show whose lives are assured - plus any income you have received to date
  • share certificates
  • national savings certificates
  • investment or trust documents.

Property or land that you own

The home you live in

The value of a property that you own and live in as your main or only home is not taken into account as part of your financial assessment.

Other properties or land you have a beneficial interest in

If you have a beneficial interest in any other property or land - meaning you are entitled to a share in the proceeds from its sale - this is considered as an investment. The value of your share in that property or land will be included in your financial assessment and contribute to your financial assets total.

You must provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you for extra properties or land you have a beneficial interest in:

  • latest mortgage statement
  • equity release documents
  • proof of joint ownership
  • proof of any property previously owned in the last 2 years.

We do not need to carry out a full financial assessment for respite stays, so we will not ask you about any:

  • benefits and allowances
  • pensions
  • other income
  • housing costs
  • costs related to your disability.

You have the right to request a full financial assessment. If you request a full assessment, it will be carried out as per the temporary stay in a care home financial assessment.

Please note: the calculation amount will replace the flat rate charge - even if it is higher.

Step 2: Flat rate charge notification form

Following your assessment, your support worker will be able to advise if you qualify to pay the flat rate charge for respite stays.

They'll also ask you to complete and sign a flat charge notification form. This asks for your financial details and also will confirm what you'll pay each week for your care.

If your needs assessment is carried out via telephone, your support worker will send this to you to complete and return. They will also advise on the best way for you to share your financial documents. This is usually by one of the following methods:

Please note: you will need to include your PID number with any proofs you supply.

Step 3: After your assessment

We will send you an assessment letter that:

  • confirms the details of your financial assessment
  • tells you how much you are required to pay towards your care
  • provides details of how to pay us.

Check the details

It is important that you check the details of your assessment letter. If anything is missing or incorrect, it may make a difference to the amount you must pay towards your care. Any difference will be backdated to the start of your care and you may need to repay us.

Find out how to report missing or incorrect information