Paying for your care

"I'd like to know if I can get help with my care and support costs."

Service costs

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay as independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

We charge for the majority of care and support we provide, but some services are offered free.

If you qualify for care and support, and you have one or more chargeable services as part of your support plan, you should expect to pay towards the cost of your care unless your assets, savings and income are very low. To find out what you must pay, you will need a financial assessment.

Please note: you do not need to have a financial assessment to receive care services from us, however, you would be expected to pay the full amount for your care. This is known as self funding.

Free care and support services

There is no cost for:

  • minor aids and adaptations costing no more than £1,000. This could be providing a daily living aid, such as a bathroom grab rail or commode, or making an adaptation to your home to assist you to live in your own home independently
  • intermediate care services if you leave hospital and need short-term care so you can get back on your feet
  • reablement services
  • care or support if you have Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease
  • any service, or part of service, that the NHS has a duty to provide. This includes health funded care (continuing healthcare) and the NHS contribution to registered nursing care (nursing care within a nursing home)
  • services that as a local authority, we have a legal duty to provide, such as a needs assessment, care planning or a financial assessment.

Chargeable care and support services

The services you must contribute to, or pay in full, are:

What you will need to pay

Most people must pay something towards their care, unless one of the following applies:

Payment levels

The amount that you must pay for your care depends on the type of help you need and the savings and income you have. If you have income and savings that are:

  • more than £23,250, you must pay the full cost of your care
  • between £14,250 and £23,250, you must pay a contribution towards your care
  • less than £14,250, you may pay a contribution towards your care.

You will be offered a financial assessment and based on the information you give us, we’ll be able to tell you what you must pay.