Financial assessment

"I'd like to know how you work out what I need to pay towards my care."

Updates to your financial assessment

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

Everyone's circumstances change from time to time. To make sure you always pay the correct contribution towards your care you must tell us about any changes. We’ll also carry out a yearly review of your financial information.

Types of changes you must tell us about

You should tell us if:

  • anyone who lives with you moves out, or someone moves in
  • the details of the person handling your affairs change
  • your capital changes - this could be because you win or inherit money, or receive shares from a company
  • you start to receive a private or occupational pension
  • you start to receive attendance allowance or personal independence payment
  • the level of attendance allowance, disability living allowance or personal independence payment you receive changes
  • you are planning to move, for example from your own home to a care home.

Please note: it is important that you report a change as soon as possible. This is because any change that results in an increase in the amount you must pay will be backdated to the date of the change.

How to tell us if something needs updating

You can contact us to tell us if your financial assessment needs updating because:

  • something is missing or incorrect
  • you have had a change of circumstances.

Yearly reviews

The amount you must pay will change at least once every year, for example, if your state benefits increase.

We will send you a notification each year to advise you how your weekly contribution has been calculated for the coming year. This will be based on the information that you have previously provided, as well as any expected income (which you must tell us about).

Please make sure you check the information on the notification and tell us if anything is missing, incorrect or has changed.