Financial assessment

"I'd like to know how you work out what I need to pay towards my care."

What you will need to show us

Do you want to continue living at home?

We know it's important to stay as independent for as long as possible, in your own home.

The information you need to provide will depend on the type of assessment that you are having. Here is some general information about what you need to tell us and the proofs you must produce.

Personal information

We'll need:

  • your contact information
  • and, if you have one, details of your power of attorney, deputy or financial representative.

You’ll also need to provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • power of attorney documentation
  • appointee forms
  • court of protection order.

Capital and savings

This means cash, money in a bank or building society, shares, property and land.

You’ll need to provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • bank account statements
  • savings account statements
  • bond certificates
  • life assurance bond certificates evidencing the life or lives assured and any income received
  • share certificates
  • national savings certificates
  • investment or trust documents
  • property title and mortgage documents.


We'll need to know about the benefits you receive, all your pensions and any income you receive, including rental income from property or land.

Some income will not be considered in your financial assessment, while other income will be included either in part of full.

Income taken into account

Examples of income taken into account:

  • state pension
  • occupational pension or private pension
  • guarantee credit (pension credit)
  • universal credit
  • income support
  • employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • armed forces independence payment
  • attendance allowance
  • personal independence payment (PIP) daily living component
  • disability living allowance (DLA) care component
  • industrial injuries disablement allowance
  • student finance.

You’ll need to provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • latest benefit entitlement or award letters from the Department for Work and Pensions for the current financial year (April to March)
  • verification of a private pension
  • paperwork relating to a deferred pension or annuity
  • proof of salary
  • evidence of rental income
  • current bank account statements detailing other income.

If you are waiting to hear about a benefit that you have applied for, please inform us immediately when you hear about the claim.

Income not taken into account

Examples of income not taken into account:

  • earnings
  • working tax credit
  • savings credit (pension credit)
  • disability living allowance mobility component
  • personal independence payment mobility component
  • child benefit
  • child tax credits
  • guarantee income payments from the armed forces compensation scheme.

Housing costs

We'll need to know about your share of expenses relating to your council tax, rent, mortgage and service charges.

You’ll need to provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • housing benefit or council tax award letter
  • paperwork showing how much you pay for rent, service charges, mortgage and council tax
  • rental agreement or housing association breakdown showing other costs included in your rent and service charges
  • last four utility bills showing your annual heating and power costs
  • water, sewerage, buildings and contents insurance bills (proof of Direct Debit payments will be accepted).

Details of costs related to your disability

We’ll need to know about any expenses that you pay as a result of your disability or impairment, this is known as disability related expenditure (DRE). We will allow for reasonable DREs unless these are already funded, or should be funded, by your care and support plan or another government organisation, such as the NHS.

Examples of disability related expenditure

Please note: anything you pay for by choice, and not through necessity, cannot be classed as a disability related expense.


We'll need to know about any property and land you own.

You’ll need to provide us with any of the following documents that apply to you:

  • latest mortgage statement
  • documents relating to extra property
  • equity release documents
  • proof of joint ownership
  • proof of property previously owned in the last 2 years.